Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Train Station

Facebook message I wrote to former team that was in Nicaragua for a month. This is a good example of how the Lord is working here...

Hey all!!

So I attempted to write you all possibly one of the longest messages I have sent via facebook message - but that failed when the power temporarily went out (for literally one second) and I lost internet... but after two days I have decided to rewrite this to you all :)

Anyways, it's weird not having you all around! We miss you a lot! (speaking for other interns and the boys from El Puente) Right now there is an adult group (not staying at El Puente) and then the rest of the groups are high school age and it's weird not having my own age amigos here! But the Lord is continuing to work as we continue the same ministries and see fruit from all the seeds that you have planted.

I hope that you are all adjusted back in the States... I'm sure it's probably not the easiest returning to cold-climate fast-paced working life (or whatever you may be doing right now) and maybe you are enjoying hot showers and a.c again :) by the way, it has been strangely cool the last couple of days... i'm kind of cold right now ;)

Point of this message, I need to share with you the impact of the train station. I have been going there since you left and it's now probably my favorite place to go :) Two days ago Pastor Flores shared with us the story of the train station and how and why he was so blown away that you all painted it. Maybe you already know this, but in case you don't, be encouraged and continue to pray.

5 years ago, there was a white gringo man that lived/or did business in Santa Rosa (where train station is located). Basically he abused a lot of women and girls and boys. Because of the impact of this man, there was an extremely high suicide rate. When they contacted the Nicaraguan police, they basically said that they didn't want to deal with it - find a way to get rid of the dead bodies. It continued to worsen and finally someone contacted Pastor Flores and the Torre Fuerte Church. He went down there and began praying for Santa Rosa and felt led to anoint all the houses with oil and pray over each house.

The white man up and left 2-3 years ago - no one knows why except that it was an answer to the people's prayers. The suicide rates have ceased and the neighborhood has become more peaceful since his leaving. Pastor and the church continue to go down there to pray/anoint the houses/do ministry whenever the Lord tells them to. Santa Rosa is huge on their hearts and there is still much work to do. (apparently they were even thinking about starting a church across from the train station).

Anyways, the amazing part of you all painting the train station is that the train station was where the white man did his "business". There is still so much baggage, pain, and memories of what happened. The train station stood as a monumental reminder of the past - of the abuse, the suicide and the bitterness that still resides in the hearts of the people. But you have no idea how huge it was to paint it - to help erase those memories and to place scripture - the word of God - in Santa Rosa. Pastor Flores went down there earlier this week and not knowing who painted it was in shock and so thankful to see a light appear in the community.

Even the love and the attention you gave to the kids was huge. They still remember you all and were asking for many of you by name when the new group came.

At any rate, I just wrote a ton and I'm sorry if I wrote too much, but praise God for how He used your team to bring the light and hope of Christ to Santa Rosa. The Lord continues to move in the hearts of these people and may God be glorified!! I don't mean to write this to tell you some emotional story, but it is always encouraging to see how God is working as we continue to build more faith and trust in our great God.

Thank you for what you did here and may you be encouraged as you all resume life at home :)

Looking forward to seeing you all some day, if not here then at the great feast :)

~Bri

The freshly painted "Train Station":

1 comment:

  1. Bri,
    So I pretty much read all of your post in one sitting, because I was so excited to hear about how you are doing in Nicaragua. I loved the time I got to spend there, and hope you are too.

    Are you used to gallo pinto and Spanish yet?
    :)

    ReplyDelete