Church here is longer than I am used to. (no surprise) And today I was very much not looking forward to the Thursday Night midweek service. Not looking forward to the 10 song in a row worship to start out the service nor the message itself of what I understand not much. But Pastor happened to cut the message very short (and even commented on how he tends to keep it long which we don't always care for) and the last thing he commented on was about what it means to be humble. In Nicaragua, to be humble means to live in misery. If one is humble, it means he lives in a shack with a tough family situation... But he commented on our humility as rich Americans coming Nicaragua. I certainly live in a very proud nation and have grown up with the mentality that I'm 'proud to be an American'. While it isn't wrong to have national pride, pride is in my very nature. Humble?? I often think how overly proud we must look to these people and it is often my prayer that we do not come across as proud or arrogant. While I still have so much pride to rid myself of, I am thankful that God allows me to come with a spirit that they can see as humble - because it's not me that I want to give. It is simply the love of God manifested through Christ. The spirit of humility in the sense that we are simply obedient to our Lord and will serve wherever needed without a hesitation. That is my prayer. And how often I complain or show disobedience because I want to do what I want to do.
You want to see humility? Watch the women here at this church who week after week cook meals for hundreds of children. Watch the members of the church meet together EVERY single morning at 5am to kneel before their Father on behalf of their church, the city of Granada, and the country of Nicaragua. Watch the worship pastor and his wife bike twice a week to a small town in order to help feed the children, teach a bible study and minister to the children. Watch the way they live at home and go about their daily tasks without complaining. Watch how the pastor regularly goes into the barrio to visit his hurting flock at their houses - those who need prayer within the church.
The humble in spirit are not necessary those living miserly or those living in misery. The humble in spirit are those willing to serve the Lord in whatever capacity he asks without an ounce of pride in their heart. Gah, I have much to grow and much to learn. Much to be humbled by. Much pride to be destroyed. One day at a time.
Oh, and I highly recommend Humility by Andrew Murray. Knocked me down on my knees...
This was a great read! Thanks, I needed it.
ReplyDeleteI love that you are seeing some great examples of humility! Pride keeps us from doing so many of the works that God has set aside for us. As soon as I start thinking that I'm too good for a task or too important to take the time for someone, I've alienated myself from God's purpose for my life. Its important to be consistently reminded of that.
-Eric